Saturday, March 11, 2006

Greetings from Bognor Regis!

It's not often that you find yourself at the total other end of the country from home but here I am..............in Bognor Regis, on the souf coast of Englerland!!

I am attending a residential course held in the gorgeous surroundings of West Dean College near Chichester on the South Downs, and the photographer in question is Cheryl Jacobs ( http://www.cheryljacobsphotography.com/ )

Cheryl is a fine art B&W childrens/people photographer, and she is SUCH a nice person, it is no surprise to see how she makes people relax enough to get these photos.

It has been an eye-opener for me, this course. The first day was just mentally exhausting for me, I slept form 7pm to 8am that night! It was taking in the "touchy-feely" aspect of photography, something that a lot of photography courses just don't touch on. Yeah the technical aspect is needed, but in social photography, you need to relate to people and how you do so, can come across in your work.

By critiquing my work, I found my photojournalistic work at weddings makes it difficult for me to approach a portrait session "close up". So today when I worked with a gorgeous little boy of 2 years old, I only used my 50mm lens and got some amazing work, really pleased with it. And Cheryl gave some good tips after the session in making the photo more.

Unfortunately I can't post any of this stuff at the moment, as I am sitting in a video shop cum internet cafe in Bognor!!

Must post some shots when I get home!

No comments:

Nikki McLeod Photography

Nikki McLeod Photography
tel 01383 821498